A spectacular sea of light illuminates the winter night, to mark the opening of Edinburgh's New Year celebrations, this year culminating in #ScotWord.
To purchase tickets, select your desired start point on the map below.
Blaze through the city accompanied by a cast of pipers and drummers, bear a torch or grab a spot and watch the river of light flow through the heart of Edinburgh.
There are lots of ways to take part: you can grab a great spot in Holyrood Park to watch the procession approach its final destination, volunteer to help us chart the #ScotWord, or why not join the parade as a torch bearer?
The procession will have three starting points (St Giles Street, North Bridge and South Bridge) and make its way down the Royal Mile towards Holyrood Park, passing Scottish Parliament and the Palace of Holyrood House for a breathtaking fireworks finale.
To mark the launch of Scotland's Year of Young People in 2018, the climax of this year’s procession will see torches spell out one word, #ScotWord, chosen by the young people of Scotland answering the question “What makes you most proud to live in Scotland?”. Read more about #ScotWord
Edinburgh’s Hogmanay will donate 50 pence from every ticket sold for the Torchlight Procession to One City Trust as the Torchlight Procession Charity Partner for 2017. One City Trust is dedicated to fighting inequality and exclusion in Edinburgh.
- Full details of torch collections and form-up times will follow in due course.
- Spectators are encouraged to view the procession and finale in Holyrood Park.
- The Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event using wax-based torches, so please dress appropriately.
- You MUST have a torch and/or ticket to take part in this year's Torchlight Procession. You will need to purchase at least one torch per group. Each torch comes with one procession ticket, which the torch bearer MUST have. If there is more than one person in your group, you will need to purchase additional tickets to take part in the Procession. You can buy a minimum of one torch per group of 4.
- Anyone under 16yrs must be accompanied by an adult over 21yrs of age at all times. No children's buggies are permitted.
- The Torchlight Procession is an incredibly safe event but we need participants to help maintain this. Please follow all safety instructions when carrying torches in this event.
- Torches are wax based (like a big candle), safety guards are supplied to protect carrier hands from dripping wax.
- Please note, when windy the wax from the torches can be blown onto clothing. Whilst easily removable (top tip — an iron and brown paper) please dress appropriately and do not carry torches if wearing delicate fabrics.
- Torch vouchers can be exchanged for torches at your chosen starting point on the night of the event.
- The procession has three starting points. You must pick your starting point when you purchase your ticket and you will not be able to change it later. You will only be able to enter and collect your torch at your chosen starting point.
- You must collect your tickets and torch vouchers from the Edinburgh's Christmas or Hogmanay box offices prior to joining the procession.
- Please note all extra tickets must be bought at the time of purchase of torches. If you have previously bought a torch and require an extra wristband please contact our box office team on 0131 510 0395 or email@example.com with your transaction ID and they will be able to help.
- Spectators of the event are welcome but please DO NOT join the procession en-route or stand in front of the procession to take photographs.
- The Event Organiser reserves the right to search Ticket Holder's bags and clothing for security reasons.