Carry a torch for charity
and purchase in advance for £8 each or on the day for £10 each (limited availability)
The opening event of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay 2013/14 and start of the ‘Year of Homecoming Scotland 2014’ is the spectacular Torchlight Procession.
A total sell-out each year, last year’s event welcomed over 35,000 people to this world renowned family event. Join thousands of torch carriers as they illuminate the city through the city centre to a spectacular Son et Lumière and fireworks finale. Led by Shetland’s Up Helly Aa’ Vikings and the massed pipes and drums.
A limited number of torches priced £10.00 each will be available on the day of the event (subject to availability)
- The Torchlight Procession is an outdoor event featuring fire and wax based torches
- Please dress appropriately for the weather
- Torchlight Procession is an incredibly safe event but we need participants to help maintain this. Please follow all safety instructions when carrying torches in this event
- Torches are wax based (like a big candle), safety guards are supplied to protect carrier hands from dripping wax
- Please note, when windy the wax from the torches can be blown onto clothing. Whilst easily removable (top tip – an iron and brown paper) please dress appropriately and do not carry torches if wearing delicate fabrics.
19:00 Monday 30 December 2013
Free unticketed event
Starts at the George IV Bridge in the historic Old Town
Finishes with a son et lumiere & firework spectacular